Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, April 9, 2010

Week 12

Two more weeks to go until the end of my first trimester! (it is debated whether the first trimester ends at the end of the 13th or 14th week... my books say the 13th week) And only 5 more days till we get to see our peanut again. At this ultrasound, we will be having the Nuchal translucency screening or NT scan. This is a scan that assesses the baby's risk of having Down syndrome or other chromosomal abnormalities as well as major congenital heart problems. This is typically advised for women over 35 in the US but here, they do it on everyone. The NT test uses an ultrasound to measure the clear (translucent) space in the tissue at the back of the neck during the first trimester. Babies with abnormalities tend to accumulate more fluid at the back of their neck in the first trimester causing the space to be larger than average. I tried to find a range that was normal but it changes daily based on how far along you are when you have the test. I will be 12 weeks and 5 days. I don't anticipate there being any problems since Greg and I are both under 35. If I should receive a positive result I would then be referred for an amniocentesis at 16-18 weeks. Due to my age, I'd be low risk for a baby with DS anyway, so I'm looking at this as another chance to see our peanut and get some really great shots! We should see some nice profile pictures since they have to enlarge the baby's head to 75% of the window in order to get a good reading.

I am beginning to realize the weeks of feeling like my belly has been growing has not been so, I could button my pants again this last week. Either it's from not retaining as much fluids or I've lost more weight; it's hard to tell. I've been walking a lot more, well more since we've been here... we walk more places in general here but I've started walking to and from the store if I have to pick up just a few things, or walk to the grocery store but ride the bus home. It is about a 20-30 min walk each way. I haven't popped yet but hope to soon, Greg thinks I have and says he can tell; he thinks I'm showing and it has been getting bigger this week.

The peanut has doubled in size over the past three weeks. The digestive system is beginning to practice contractions so the baby will be able to eat.

According to babycenter.com, this week has lots of changes for the peanut:

How your baby's growing:

The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, his toes will curl, his eye muscles will clench, and his mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. His intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into his abdominal cavity about now, and his kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder.

Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in your baby's brain, synapses are forming furiously. His face looks unquestionably human: His eyes have moved from the sides to the front of his head, and his ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, your baby-to-be is just over 2 inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce.

No comments:

Post a Comment