Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

My Lastest Venture: Elimination Communication- Day 1

I have decided to do elimination communication with Charlotte.  Basically it is beginning infant potty training.  Just as I did with Lillian I offered her to go every 20 min after a feeding and have been keeping a log of when she pees and poops, what times, what signals she makes and when she ate.  I have found she pees  within the first 5 min of waking up and every 20-30 min after she eats.  We will be associating a sound with each.  Today I offered her to go when I thought she'd need to (along with other times too) but I was able to "catch" both poop and pee a total of 4 times today!  (We started this at 10:30 today)  The goal for today was observation and to start my log to get a sense of a pattern.  When I think she has to go I basically hold her against my chest facing outward and cradle under her legs so she is in a more sitting position.  She has been diaper free the whole day when she's up and then we put one on again when she goes to sleep.  The goal is she will learn to associate the sound I make with each and then go when I make the sound.  I figured if I am taking Lillian to the potty it wouldn't hurt to teach Charlotte too and if it works great! less diapers for me, if not that's ok too.  I also learned Charlotte can roll over on her side.  I have found her like that when I go to get her in bed :) 

I should also mention Elimination Communication (EC) is not letting your baby run around diaper free all day and never using a diaper just as you wouldn't have a potty training toddler go without under ware.  Since we are still in the beginning phases I do have Charlotte in just a t shirt without a diaper on either my waterproof changing pad with a receiving blanket over it or on a puppy pad.  I am still learning her "cues" and signals of when she has to go so accidents are more likely to happen right now, again you'd have the same issue with a potty training toddler.  I started Lillian early on and although it took her a long time to fully be potty trained, she was trained a lot sooner than other kids and I didn't have to change a poppy diaper very often after she turned a yr unless we had an accident.  I am basically doing the same process with Charlotte, observing signals and cues she gives when she has to go and then offering her opportunities to go.  It will help her learn what it feels like to be dry.  The struggle I'm having right now with Lillian is still night time or nap time wetness.  We did just buy a mattress pad and if she has finished her milk early enough during lunch where I know we can get most/all pee pee out before nap time then she will nap in under wear and has done it successfully a few times.  I am enjoying tackling both these challenges and it leads to less diapers for me to change! So win win in my opinion :)

No comments:

Post a Comment