Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Rose Parade

Right after we returned from our Christmas vacation, we returned the rental car and drove up to Pasadena the next day to catch the Rose Parade.  I knew it was a big deal but I didn't realize how many people camp out in the streets!!!!  We decided to get a hotel close by for New Year's Eve and all went to bed very early that night, not even bothering ringing in the new year so we could get a very early start toward the parade route.  We woke up at 3:30am, hopped on the metro system and arrived at the parade route by 5:30am.  There were so many people even that early! Most had camped out the previous afternoon or night and I was very concerned I'd have to stand for the next 5 hrs.... pregnant that was not really an option.  Greg went off with Lillian strapped to his chest to find us some coffee and breakfast and I started asking those around me if we could snag a portion of the curb they weren't using.  Sure enough we got a spot!  We even met a family whose son was marching in the parade.  I thought I marched in the same parade as a Junior in high school and Greg was bothered by my lack of memory.... we had made a trip down there, got to lead the Disneyland parade and performed in what I thought was the rose parade back in 2000.  Greg feels I should have remembered the floats but as a band it was just another performance for me and you didn't march that close to the floats.... the amount of people and distance were not that unusual as far as I remember either.  Anyway, once it started Lillian was quite entertained (although we were there 3 hrs early so trying to keep her engaged for that long was a bit tricky).  The theme this year was "Oh the Places You'll Go".  It was quite a site to see, all the huge floats made completely out of plant material; however, it may be one of those once in a lifetime type things.... not sure I'd be willing to do it again unless one of my kids were performing in it.  I did manage to get some good photos of my favorite floats. 

No comments:

Post a Comment